Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Growing" like my mom

A storm came through our area last night and it was forecasted to be a pretty severe one so we decided that I should bring all my potted plants in the house just in case. It was at that moment as I am carrying pots in the house that I wondered how I got to this place in life where I actually enjoy plants. Then I realized I am becoming more like my mother. (Which is a wonderful thing!)

For as long as I can remember mom has always had plants. I don't remember too many flowering plants, but I remember lots of greenery. Big plants. Small plants.

I can remember one summer when we moved towns, travelling in the car with all the plants. Our housing was not ready for us in the new town so we stayed in a hotel. Mom's plants decorated the pool deck of the hotel pool. I am sure they were sad to have us go. Those plants looked nice.

Mom could make anything grow. The funny thing is- I really didn't enjoy the plants. Mom would make comments about how lovely they were or how enjoyable it was to have them around. I sooooo didn't get it.

Now I get it. I really enjoy my flowers. I have enjoyed learning about them, the challenge in keeping them alive in spite of deer, pests, and small children. I enjoyed watching them in the spring to see who will spring back to life after the winter. I like sitting and just enjoying their view.

I like the geraniums in the front. They bloom fast for the not so patient person I am.


There are some marigolds growing in my favorite red pot.


I just needed some white flowers for some color variation.


The boys gave me some pentas for Mother's Day.


I have loved hydrangeas. I started growing them a few years ago. This is the first year they have grown like crazy. Next year, I want to try and make them change colors. I find that fascinating.

Happy Blooming!

No comments: