Thursday, April 11, 2013

Fredericksburg Field Trip

We spent a day in Fredericksburg on a field trip.  Our first stop was to go strawberry picking.  It was a little brisk that morning, but there was a good crop of berries.  


Here's the girl in her Moby wrap.  I love that baby carrier.  I wish I would have found this 3 kids ago.


We picked 14 pounds of strawberries.  The boys did great, especially J.  I had to give up picking after awhile.  Trying to squat with 20 pounds strapped to the front of me became a little uncomfortable.  


After berry picking, we headed into town to The Museum of the Pacific War.  It's a museum dedicated solely to the pacific portion of World War II.  J has been studying WWII so it was a great museum to see.
Admiral Chester Nimitz was also from Fredericksburg, TX so there was a section devoted to his life.  He shares a birthday with J.  He found that amusing.


Of course, the boys all found the artillery displays to be the most interesting.


J did all the photography in the museum.  I couldn't handle the baby and the camera.  He did a good job.  


It was a wonderful museum.  


Here's S trying to see in a periscope inside the mock up of a submarine.


We should return sometime with just J.  W and S lost interest after about an hour.  J commented that you could spend a long time in that museum.  That's an understatement.  We walked quickly through the end parts.  I think it helped to cement the topics we had been learning.  


There's was a whole section we didn't even make it to.  We enjoyed the Presidents' Garden.  They paid tribute to all the US Presidents who took part in WWII.  It was a great visual for the kids.  We had a good day!  Looking forward to returning some day.

No comments: