Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Handling money God's way

The Captain and I took a money management class at our church when we were newly married.  It was offered by the Crown Financial Ministries and we were part of small discussion group at our church.

While neither one of us handled money poorly, we didn't have a game plan or even a theory about how to handle money.  That class was so informative.  I never knew that the Bible had so much to say about finances.

I remember when taking that class, the leaders mentioned that there was curriculum for children and teens.  I filed that information away.

Fast forward 9 years and this summer I have done a money management class with the boys.



It's called "The ABC's of Handling Money God's Way".  This series is geared for ages 3-7.

It's been great.  We do 1-2 lessons a week.  There's a Bible verse for each week, a short application story, and some activity sheets.  It has taught them to stay out of debt.  We have talked about saving and giving.

I plan on giving each boy 3 jars with "saving", "giving", and "spending" on them to reinforce the teaching.

They have enjoyed it and seemed to have learned a lot.  Hopefully, this will be the start of some good money habits now that will bless them in the years to come.

1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

I wish I could have 'signed' my kids up to do that with you. What a great idea! Maybe you could do it for co-op sometime?