We are studying Apologia's Zoology focusing on creatures created on Day 5 of creation. Specifically looking at birds, insects, bats, and butterflies. We have enjoyed it so far.
The authors recommended regardless of the order of the book, to cover the insect section when it is warm. So we have begun the insect section because it has been plenty warm. There are many activities that include observations and experiments with live insects.
So we need to temporarily capture an insect to perform our activities.
I live in a buggy place. Most years I could sadly admit that if I needed to find an insect, just look somewhere in the bathroom or right out the front door. Fire ants are everywhere much to my chagrin.
However, this year we can hardly find any bugs. I am not exaggerating. There are no fire ant mounds in the backyard. Very few mosquitoes. No sugar ants in my kitchen. We could only find a few bees in the flowers but I am not attempting to catch them.
I guess the drought has affected them too. So we had a good lesson about the affects of drought on insects as well.
We really need some rain.
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment