Monday, July 11, 2011

Ran away

The Captain and  I ran away from home this weekend.  The boys went to stay at our friends' house, so we could have some time alone.  We ran away to Austin, TX.  We had never really spent anytime there other than driving through and seeing a gas station.

We had a lot of fun.  I forgot the camera so there not any pictures, but lots of good memories.  We tried to eat lots of different kinds of food which we were easily able to do.  Downtown Austin has a huge variety of restaurants.  We ate at a Korean bar-b-que place.

We lunched at an Irish Pub while watching some World Cup soccer.  That was a fun lunch hanging out with all these soccer freaks.  And I mean freaks.  I had some funky quesadillas made with potato pancakes instead of tortillas.  It was quite good.

We found a frozen yogurt place that the kids would love.  It's self-serve with many different flavors.  Then there is this bar of all sorts of toppings that you just pile on.  You weight it and pay.  We will have to try and bring them back some time.

Had dinner at a Spanish tapas bar.  That was really good mahi mahi.

We did other things than just eat.  We went to the Texas State History museum.  It was a really nice museum.  I got lots of field trip ideas for next year plus we learned a lot.  It strengthened our marriage.  Did you know there is an Ohio/Texas connection besides us?  During Texas' fight for independence from Mexico- Ohio sent down 2 cannons.  We were both so proud.

We went kayaking on the Lady Bird Lake.  That was lots of fun.  There were tons of turtles and fish.

We were both exhausted by Sunday evening.  Picked up the kids and went to bed.  It was a great weekend.  Look forward to returning.  

PS-  I discovered Charmin' Charlies.  I LOVE that store!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to know that there is a Charmin Charlies near Grammies house - sounds like you had a great time in Austin

Maeve said...

Always happy to hear another Ohio-Texas connection! Glad you guys had some fun away.