Sunday, February 21, 2010

Your daily physics lesson

No, I am not starting a series of physics posts on my blog. I just thought I would share my experience so you wouldn't have to do this "experiment."

Do you remember F= ma? Let me refresh your memory.

The "m" is mass. Let's just say 8lbs for example. The "a" is acceleration. We will use the acceleration of gravity which is 9.81 m/s (squared).


This is what happens when the mom accidentally drops an 8 lb weight on the wood floor.


Did you know 78 Newtons worth of force could do that? Neither did I. I will be a lot more careful while exercising.

The bad part is there is really no way to fix the floor. I see an area rug in our future.




3 comments:

Grateful for Grace said...

Thanks for the physics lesson. My first in... well, in a long time.

Maeve said...

An area rug will look nice. I haven't done the math, but the throwing acceleration of my 18mo old must be way past 9.81 because she can make nearly the same mark with at Thomas Train.

Proud Parents said...

SO sorry. I was getting ready to hear how the boys did this...at least you didn't pass blame. Way to go for working out. I remember those good ole days.